Friday, May 22, 2020

My Mother's Story / मेरी मां की कहानी

My Mother's Story

 

My mother's tales of far off lands

and distant times whirl about me

making me a silent part, as though

an echo of the last song, lost long ago.


I solemnly remember those fingers

which fed me lemon rice and brinjal fry

or dry fish,

frolicking her tongue with lullabies.

I still feel the solemn touch

of her fingers on my sleepy eyes.

My tears would not spare her

without the tales of ghosts, fairies.

She would then begin:

"Oh my little queen, my blue-eyed fairy-

Harken!

Long long ago there was a king,

a merman king.

He was searching

for a little doll king like you..."

Eyes burdened with sleep and attention

I would cry

"Tell me the tale of pearls, O my pearly mom..."

Softly softly she would sing into my ears:

"Far away from our home, far away

there is a stony land, a ghostly hill in it,

at its hazy top your granny

and grandpa live there

amid the dreamy pearls..."

And all at once

my sleep took me aloft to that land:

my searching eyes to locate

my grand-parents

and to have a glance at the pearls

already dreaming of the blue

islands.

Methought why can't I

get a chariot for my Papa

d a lot of necklaces, bracelets for Maa

toys for my little sister Mammali

and nameless dreams for me...


More than a score and one years

since I encountered life there

on the stony land.

I behold the mountain shuddering

at the breath of a lizard

and the streams disappearing

at the blow of air

and the snakes hissing

in the lakes.

My heart's ululation quitened

and ceased.


Cool water from many rivers I drank.

Fountains, mountains and all loved me

I visited all gardens

of squash, apples, carrots, potatoes

of lilies, roses, juvena

I took them for pearls,

touched them, loved them.

Walking past the lanes of my dream

I met them-my grand-parents-

in their silence-woven tomb on mountain top.

How dearly they kissed me, shedding tears of love

I touched the pinnacle of glory

I got all pearls and

treasured all my dreams.


I know not exactly how many years later

I came back, bringing

marigolds from that round garden

getting spinning wheels, pretty boxes,

quilts, bottles, mirrors, books, albums

and post cards, and colours...

It's only then my mother's voice

was heard, clanking like temple bells.

"Wake up my little one

it's morning eight o'clock

get ready for school..."

I woke up, being shocked at the obstinacy

of the doors shut under dream waters.

All day long I roamed

my eyes sparkling with the star dust

of those memories, looking through those

boxes, quilts, mirrors and books;

I was half-awake, half-asleep till

within the whirlpool of mine own illusions:

did it ever happen, or is it likely to happen ?


That evening once again I slept

hoping to have the glimpse of those dreams

already lost-

why would sleep seal my eyes ?

I roam insomniac since then

wide awake to a destiny unknown.

And never did my mother come once again

to tell me stories of pearls and grand-parents.

I tried hard to sleep that night

dampening my pillow with liquid warmth

of my tears.


And now...

my wakeful eyes sculpt through no illusions

as it is high time I know what is what.

Still in my waking dreams I treasure

that sweetness in my thin ribs

delicate as a bird's feet

lying criss-crossed

or in a drawing

colours thrown and redoubling on each other.


Now I realize

repeating the tale to my son

as he may find pearls too

and those would turn into granites

strong and lifeless.

I shall keep it within, safely,

until the cook leaves the kitchen

and this body slips

like anyone's into the unknowable

season of darkness and showtime.

My sweet mother's tale shall find its cross

in my cremation ground where

only silence dampens

the eyes of the absences.

 

 

मेरी मां की कहानी

मेरी मां की सुदूर जगहों

और पुरातन युग की कहानियां

झंझावात पैदा करती है मेरे भीतर

और मुझे मू बना देती है जैसे

किसी अतीत के गाने की प्रतिध्वनि

बहुत पहले खो गई हो। 

 

मुझे वे अंगुलियां पूरी तरह याद है

जो मुझे नींबू चावल और

सूखी मछली और भूने बैंगन

खिलाया करती थी

और जिसकी जिह्वा पर लोरियां की

धुन सुनाई देती है। 

आज भी मैं अपनी निद्रालु आंखों पर

उसके मुलायम हाथों का स्पर्श अनुभव करती हूं

जब तक वह मुझे सुना नहीं देती थी

भूतों और परियों की कहानियां

मेरी आंखों से आंसू झते रहते थे। 

फिर वह कहती थी -

“ओह मेरी छोटी रानी, मेरी नीली आंखों वाली परी 

सुनो !

बहुत पहले की बात है,

एक राजा था

एक जलपरी जैसा राजा 

वह खोज रहा था 

तुम्हारी जैसी एक प्यारी गुड़िया...”

आंखें नींद और एकाग्रता से

बोझिल हो जाती थी

मैं चिल्ला उठती थी,

मुझे मोतियों वाली कहानी सुनाओ

 मेरी मोती जैसी मां। "

धीरे-धीरे वह मेरे कानों में गुनगुनाने लगती

बहुत दूर हमारे घर से, बहुत दूर

पथरीली भूमि पर थी भूतिया पहाड़ी

और इसके धुंधले शिखर पर

रहते थे तुम्हारी नानी और नाना 

सपनों वाले मोतियों के बीच...”

अचानक एक बार

मैं नींद-नींद में उस जगह चली गई

और मेरी आंखें तलाशने लगी

मेरे नाना-नानी 

और मोतियों की झलक को 

जिसे मैं नील द्वीप के सपने में

देखा करती थी।

सोचने लगी क्यों नहीं मैं ला सकती  

मेरे पिता के लिए रथ 

और मां के लिए ढेर सारे हार-कंगन 

छोटी बहिन ममाली के लिए खिलौने 

और मेरे लिए नामरहित सपने

शाधिक वर्ष बीत गए

जब मुझे जीवन में ऐसी

पथरीली पृष्ठभूमि मिली

मैं खोजने लगी उस पहाड़ को

जो छिपकली की सांस से टूट रही थी

और हवा के झोंकों से

विलुप्त हो रही थी धाराएं 

और फुफकारने  लगे थे

झीलों में सांप  

 

मेरे हृदय की आवाज रुक जाती थी 

नि:स्तब्ध होकर । 

 

मैंने ठंडा पानी पिया, कई नदियों का

मुझे प्यार करने लगे झरने, प्रपात, पहाड़ सभी

मैं घूमने लगी सभी उपवनों में

कुम्हड़ा, सेब, गाजर, आलू

लिली, गुलाब आदि के 

मैंने मोतियों के लिए उन्हें लिया

उन्हें छुआ,  उन्हें प्यार किया। 

 

अपने सपनों की गलियों से गुजरते हुए

मुझे आखिर मिले मेरे नाना-नानी

पहाड़ की चोटी पर अपनी सुनसान कब्रों से

उन्होंने मुझे प्यार से चूमाप्रेमाश्रु बहाकर 

मैं खुशी से झूम उठी 

मुझे सारे मोती मिल गए  और

सपनों के भंडार भी। 

 

मुझे नहीं पता,  कितने सालों बाद

मैं वापस आई,  उस गेंदे के गोल बगीचे से

मुझे मिले चरखे के पहिएसुंदर  संदूक

रजाई,  बोतलेंदर्पण,  किताबें,  एल्बम

पोस्टकार्ड  और बहुत सारे रंग....... 

तभी अचानक मुझे अपनी मां की

आवाज सुनाई दी,  मंदिर में बजती घंटियों की तरह

बिटिया रानी उठो

सुबह के आठ  बज रहे हैं

स्कूल के लिए तैयार भी होना है।“ 

मैं जागी, सपनों की दुनिया के दरवाजे

बंद हो गए थे मेरे लिए। 

सारे दिन में घूमती रही

मेरी आंखों में थी अजीब चमक

उन स्मृतियों की,  जिसमें मैंने देखे थे-

संदूक,  रजाई,  दर्पण और किताबें। 

मैं आधा जाग रही थी,  आधा  सो रही थी

मेरे स्वयं की मायावी भंवर के भीतर

क्या  भी ऐसा  भी हुआ होगा या

ऐसा होने वाला है

 

उस रात फिर मैं एक बार सो गई

उन सपनों की झलक पाने की इच्छा से

जो खो चुके थे,

मगर मेरी आंखों में नींद कहां?

बिना नींद के मैं भटकती रही

इधर-उधर गंतव्य बगैर

और उसके बाद कभी मेरी मां

नहीं लौटी मुझे मोतियों और नाना-नानी की कहानी सुनाने

बड़ी मुश्किल से उस रात मुझे नींद आई 

मेरे तकिए की खोल ऊष्म 

आंसुओं से भीगते हुए

 

और अब.........

मेरी जागृत आंखों में कोई भ्रम नहीं

मैं जानती हूं यथार्थ को 

अभी भी मैं अपने जागते हुए  सपनों में

इकट्ठा करती हूं मेरी पतली पसलियों में माधुर्य 

जैसे किसी नाजुक चिड़िया

के पाँव  जंजाल में फंस गए हो या

किसी ड्राइंग पर रंग बिखरकर 

दुगने हो रहे हो। 

 

अब मैं अनुभव  करती हूं

वही कहानी अपने बेटे को सुनाती हूं

ताकि उसे भी मोती मिल सके

और वे ग्रेनाइट में बदल सके

जो मजबूत और निर्जीव हो। 

मैं उसे रखती हूं अपने भीतर सुरक्षित

जब तक कि रसोईया रसोई घर छोड़कर न जाए

और फिसलने लगता है यह शरीर 

अंधेरे की अज्ञात ऋतु में किसी की तरह

मेरी प्यारी मां की कहानी को

 मेरे कब्रगाह पर क्रॉस मिलेगा

जहां केवल शांति,

अनुपस्थिति की आंखों को

नम करेगी।

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

अधूरे जगन्नाथ क्यों? / Lord Jagannath, the God with half-done Limbs

Lord Jagannath,  the God with half-done Limbs When my words are overcooked in the double-tongued obscurity of the opaque heart I wonder what...